15 questions to ask your child after school instead of just “How was your day?”
by Amaka Obi
Lots of mothers want nothing more than to have an amazing relationship with their children.
We all desire for our children to talk to us about their struggles, joys, pain, challenges and doubts.
But most times, we do not know how to elicit these information from them. We ask broad based questions and end up not getting much back from them.
Here is an article shared by Thomas Ademiluyi on Marriage Matters international Facebook page. These questions are specific, conversational and are better positioned to get your children talking!
A really insightful read for every parent, mothers especially
Alternative questions that will engage your child in meaningful discussion instead of just asking “How was your day” include:
1. What was the best thing that happened today?
2. What made you smile today?
3. Who did you sit with at lunch?
4. Was anyone in your class absent today?
5. Did you like your lunch?
6. If you could switch seats with anyone in your class, who would it be? And why?
7. Did you help anyone today?
8. What did you do that was creative?
9. What was your least favourite part of the day?
10. Did anyone get in trouble today?
11. What made you laugh?
12. Tell me something you know today that you didn’t know yesterday.
13. How were you brave today?
14. What are you looking forward to tomorrow?
15. Tell us your top two things from the day
July 9, 2018
April 28, 2018
November 17, 2017